Thursday, June 24, 2010

Time is flying by.......

I’ve been doing a lot more exploring of Cape Town, visiting some nice beaches and doing some more hiking. On our second Sunday in South Africa, Sunny and I joined two of our ABF staff members from the townships for a day at Mzoli’s. Mzoli’s is butchery in Gugulethu where you can order kilos and kilos of fresh meat and have it braii-ed (barbequed) for you on the spot. It was the most delicious meat I’ve ever had and definitely the most meat I’ve ever eaten. Later that day, Sunny, Thomas (a friend from Holland), and I spent the afternoon in the township, meeting a lot of people and really getting to know and experience the Xhosa culture. The only problem with Mzoli’s is that it has become a very popular tourist attraction, especially on the weekends. When we were there, white people were everywhere, and black people were nowhere to be found. It’s kind of sad that all these white tourists think that they’re actually “experiencing” what the townships are like just by going to Mzoli’s to party all day with their friends.

Two weekends ago, Sunny and I visited Camps Bay and Hout Bay, which are two of the most beautiful beaches here in Cape Town. We also spent an entire afternoon exploring the Green Point Stadium and Sea Point. That is definitely the coolest World Cup stadium in South Africa. We’ve also climbed to the peak of the most well known peak of Table Mountain – Devil’s Peak. It was a pretty scary hike…kind of reminded me of Alaska. By the time we got near the top of the mountain, it was really cold, really rainy, really cloudy, and really windy. We couldn’t see more than 2 meters in front of us and it even got so windy that we had to stand in one place and hold on to giant boulders or else we would lose our balance and fall. Normally, when you reach the top, there’s an amazing view of Cape Town. But when we reached the top, everything around us was white and wet, and we couldn’t even stand up straight because the wind was so strong. It was not the hike I was hoping for but at least I can say I’ve hiked Devil’s Peak.

Some other cool things that I’ve done…let’s see…I’ve tried chicken feet (which taste just like chicken), I’ve had breakfast with Archbishop Desmond Tutu (and I’m having breakfast again with him tomorrow), I’ve done a lot of driving around South Africa (on the left side of the road), and I’ve been to two World Cup Matches!

No comments:

Post a Comment